London Private Practice & In-House
Scott originally practised as a Barrister at Goldsmith Chambers in London, having been called to the Bar in 1997. Prior to founding Edwards Gibson, he was a Director and operation head of the London office of a major international legal recruitment consultancy. His extensive experience of recruiting senior level candidates extends to both private practice and in-house and includes equity partner and team moves, domestic and international law firm mergers and global heads of legal in investment banks and financial services organisations.
Scott has contributed to legal text books on the business of law, written published articles and authored reports on both law firm and in-house recruitment matters which have been referenced in the national press including: the Financial Times, The Times and The Telegraph as well as official Law Society documents. Scott is frequently asked to present at Law Society sanctioned continuing professional development (CPD) symposiums and is a regularly invited speaker at industry events.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- HR in Law, hosted by Macfarlanes LLP 'An Invitation to the Market Renaissance” (October 2014);
- C&I Group, hosted by K&L Gates 'Managing an In-House Legal Department' (June 2013);
- LexisNexis Legal Practice Management webinar: 'How to Manage Partners Moving Firms' (May 2013);
- Law firm HR seminar, hosted by Edwards Gibson, 'How high headline salaries and inflexible compensation structures are harming London law firm competitiveness and costing City lawyers jobs' (March 2013)
- C&I Group, hosted by Herbert Smith Freehills 'Cost Effective Managing of In-House Legal Departments' (April 2012)
- Edwards Gibson law firm HR breakfast briefing 2012 — 'City and US Law firm fundamentals, their impact on the recruitment market and why real assistant level compensation should not rise' (April 2012)
- Law firm HR seminar, hosted by Edwards Gibson (June 2011) — 'The Associate Recruitment Conundrum' (June 2011)
- C&I Group, hosted by Herbert Smith — 'Managing an In-House Legal Department in a Cost Effective Way' (April 2011)
- 'Dissent: Why the in-house triumph over law firms may prove short-lived' (Legal Business, 1 September 2013);
- 'City and US Law firm fundamentals, their impact on the recruitment market and why 'real' assistant level compensation should not rise in 2012' (Legal Week Law, June 2012);
- 'The rise and fall of the elite investment bank lawyer' (Legal Week, 20 January 2012);
- 'Attracting and Retaining Top Talent' [chapter in Corporate Law Department Management 2011 - A Practical Guide] (Corporate Counsel Research September 2011);
- 'How legal directories can affect lawyers' career prospects' (Law Society Gazette, 11 November 2010);
- 'A guide for General Counsel looking to recruit and retain lawyers' (Corporate Counsel, 4 November 2010);
- 'Recruiting in-house lawyers — a guide for HR professionals' (Legal Week, 29 October 2010);
- 'Contacts and compensation - how to quantify your client following' (Legal Week Law 11, October 2010);
- 'The path to partnership - how to make partner at your firm (or another)' (Legal Week Law,7 October 2010);
- 'A guide for general counsel: recruitment and retention of lawyers' (Legal Week Law, 5 October 2010);
- 'Akzo case will preserve in-house pay gap' (Legal Week, 28 September 2010).
Articles by Scott Gibson
Previous Issues of Partner MovesPrevious editions of our bi-monthly Partner Moves publication.
Edwards Gibson Partner Round-Up - Our Methodology
Quantifying your following and writing an effective law firm business planIncluding a sample law firm business plan.
Sample law firm business plan
Legal directory rankings and their effect on lawyer recruitmentThe benefits for both law firms and individual lawyers.
The Partnership Track and Moving for Immediate PartnershipA guide for senior associates.