Welcome to the 71st edition of Law Firm Partner Moves in London, from the specialist partner team at Edwards Gibson, where we look back at announced partner-level recruitment activity in London over the past two months and give you a ‘who’s moved where’ update.
Despite immensely strong economic headwinds, the London law firm partner market continues to defy gravity. This bi-monthly round-up contains 87 partner moves – similar to the 86 we saw for the same period last year and more or less in line with the cumulative five-year average (88). In terms of laterals, there were 57 - 11% down on the 64 we saw last year. Overall, the number of moves were 7% up on the cumulative ten-year average for the same period (81).
The most acquisitive firm this round-up was Kirkland & Ellis which made a quintet of real asset/ infrastructure flavoured hires, including the co-heads of infrastructure at both Allen & Overy and Clifford Chance.
Clifford Chance itself hired two partners this edition - from White & Case and Reed Smith respectively. The magic circle firm has now chalked up a half-dozen additions in London year-to-date which, according to our figures, is a record.
Over the past two months there were no numerically significant team hires, however five firms hired two-partner teams: Kirkland & Ellis (infrastructure themed); Mills & Reeve (corporate/technology); Morgan Lewis (aviation finance); Paul Hastings (US capital markets/finance); and Squire Patton Boggs (insolvency/restructuring).
Top partner recruiters in London September – October 2022
• Kirkland & Ellis: 5 (4 laterals)
• Eversheds Sutherland: 4 (1 lateral)
• Osborne Clarke: 4 (2 laterals)
• Squire Patton Boggs: 4 (2 laterals)
• DLA Piper: 3 (2 laterals)
• Morgan Lewis: 3 (2 laterals)
• Paul Hastings: 3 (2 laterals)
Also of note in this edition
• 33% of all hires were female
• 34% of all moves were non-partners moving into partnership, including moves from in-house
• 5 moves were from in-house: Addleshaw Goddard (from Barclays); DAC Beachcroft (from a consultancy); Eversheds Sutherland (from Heathrow Airport); Gowling WLG (from Government Legal Department); and Morgan Lewis (from Abu Dhabi Investment Authority).
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to discuss this article or any other aspect of the market in more depth.
Scott Gibson, Director email@example.com or +44 (0)7788 454 080
Sloane Poulton, Director firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)7967 603 402
Mark Coates, Senior Consultant email@example.com or +44 (0)7541 666 856
If you would like to subscribe to our Partner Moves Newsletter, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org